Friday, October 13, 2017

October is Pastor Appreciation Month

October is Pastor Appreciation Month. The Apostle Paul first taught this concept in 1 Timothy 5:17, “The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching." Focus on the Family started recognizing pastors and encouraging congregations to honor their pastors in the 1990's. In 2002, the first greeting cards were printed in recognition of Pastor Appreciation. The practice of raising awareness about pastor appreciation now continues each October.

Pastor's don't enter ministry for recognition. True pastors enter ministry in response to God's calling. Serving as a pastor is rewarding, but difficult. Pastors and their families live in fishbowls with their congregations critiquing their every move. They serve people who often feel they know how to better manage the affairs of the church. The expectations are often unrealistic, the hours are long, the pressures are immense, they are expected to be perfect, and they deal with people... which can be both rewarding and very draining. An interesting and shocking article about reasons pastors leave ministry can be found here at EXPASTORS.COM. The article is good and the comments thought provoking. It's worth the read and may give you a greater appreciation for your pastor.

I'm finishing my 33rd year of ministry. I've had some of my greatest life's joys in ministry, as well as, some of my greatest life's disappointments. Both were directly connected to people. Even when people are cruel and unfaithful, pastors realize that God is faithful and He is ultimately the One we serve. God allows pastors the privilege of loving His people here on earth, and there is no greater honor than to hear someone call you by the name, Pastor.

I am blessed to have many men in my life that have served as my Pastors and friends:
- Dr. Verle Ackerman - took several "preacher boys" under his wing and taught us how to love God and love people.
- Dell Lindsey - Was my dear friend and ministry mentor. Faithful in the face of suffering.
- Jack Baskin - The first pastor I worked for and he gave me a heart for missions.
- Dan Burrell - A very dear friend, who taught me to do everything with excellence and showed me faithfulness through trials.
- David Nelms - Taught me to think outside the box and how to transition a traditional church into a vibrant church.
- Milton Frazier - Taught me faithfulness all the way to the end of his life.
- Jeff Huey - A brother (truly like family), friend, encourager, soulwinner, picture of Jesus! I don't have enough words to describe my love & appreciation for this man.
- Bill Monroe - Showed me that people are the heart of the ministry. My wife's family was saved under his ministry and he walked with Flora & I through a ministry valley.
- Clayton Simmons - A pastor and a true pastors' friend! He will go the extra mile (or two) to help others. He is the example of a pastor's heart.
- Tom Waggoner - A trailblazer that always sees the potential in men and ministries.
- Greg Hales - Encouraged me through one of the darkest points in my entire life. I owe this man so much!
- Ron Long - The greatest encourager of pastors that I've ever known. He is a pastor's friend and a lifter of my soul. Someone recently said that he has done more to influence modern-day Christianity than anyone they know!

These 12 men have influenced my life in ways they will never fully understand. They helped to teach, train, shape, stretch, help, heal, make and mold me into the pastor that I am today. You'll notice that most of these men are older, experienced pastors. They learned ministry in a generation that understood it differently. They aren't CEO's, clock watchers, slaves to their computer screens, counting their hours or looking for extra time off. These are ministers who prepare sermons; but they also serve, visit, teach, and train others. "God, please help me to be a pastor like these men and to apply what they poured into my life!" If you have a pastor who has made a difference in your life, take time to at least send them a note of encouragement. That small gesture will go a long way to help them keep on, keeping on.

Finally, I want to give a shout-out to the pastoral team with which I have the privilege of serving at Grace. Duane, Luke, Steve A. & Steve L.: I've served on, with and led several pastoral teams; but you are some of the finest men I've ever known or had the privilege of working with. Your commitment to Christ, love for his Church, compassion for people, attention to detail, commitment to excellence, heart for evangelism, tireless effort, and support for your Pastor is noticed and VERY MUCH appreciated. May God give us many years to serve Him together!

No comments: