Wednesday, October 04, 2017

With a Little Help From My Friends

Many of you will remember the song, "With a Little Help from My Friends" produced by the Beatles on the album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" from June 1967. The song was written for and sung by the Beatles' drummer Ringo Starr. The chorus states, "Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends; Mm, I get high (not endorsing) with a little help from my friends; Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends. Barbra Streisand's song, "People," reiterates the need for friendships, "People who need people are the luckiest people in the world."

I read a sad post the other day that said, "Don't depend too much on anyone in this world, because even your own shadow will leave you when you are in darkness." I wholeheartedly DISAGREE with that statement! Through the years, my wife and I have been SO very blessed, but we have walked through some dark valleys in life and ministry. In the good times and the bad, we have been blessed to have MANY, MANY friends beside us. In fact, we have found that it was the dark days that "revealed" who our true friends really were.

Pastors have many acquaintances, but usually very few deep friendships. My wife and I have intentionally tried to remove the proverbial wall that is built between pastors and people. We get our hands dirty in ministry, we get into the trenches with people, and we get close enough to see through the facades. In doing so, people can also get to know us, too. They see that we aren't perfect, that we are real, that we have the same struggles they do. It's in these times of transparency that friendships are built. True friendships are built when we take off our masks and people see us for who we really are... warts and all.

Our true friends keep in touch with us regularly. Our true friends bless us with cards, notes, and words of encouragement. Our true friends have met a need and even provided financial encouragement when we needed it most. Our true friends knew when we needed rest and took us away for a weekend. Our true friends sat, listened, wept, and walked through the valleys with us. Our true friends are the ones we pick up with, right where we left off. True friends enjoy the sunshine and the darkness together. The truth is that it was in the darkness, that some of our deepest friendships were forged.

Sure you will (and we have) encounter a few fakes, phonies, and wolves in sheep's clothing along the way; but don't let that stop you from trusting people and developing true friendships! Barbra Streisand was right in that "people who need people are the luckiest (most blessed) people in the world." My life is richer and better because of those I call friends.

I'll close by reminding you that I even have a Friend Who sticks closer than a brother! One of my favorite songs is "Friend of God" by Israel Houghton. Ponder these lyrics and let them encourage your heart today:

Who am I that You are mindful of me
That You hear me, when I call
Is it true that you are thinking of me
How You love me
It's amazing
[Choir sings lead verse]

[Chorus:]
I am a friend of God
I am a friend of God
I am a friend of God
He calls me friend.

Thank you Jesus for the way you love me, the friends who love me, and the people I get to love in this lifetime. My life is richer, fuller and better; because of the people I call friends!

No comments: