Friday, September 01, 2006

Are You Too Busy?

Surveys reveal that Americans are working more, sleeping less, and burning out more frequently. I am amazed at the number of people who live in a state of exhaustion. They are frazzled, they can't remember things, they display dark circles and bags under the eyes, they are short fused, and usually looking for one more thing to get involved in. Often, the exhaustion is due to trying to keep up with the Jones'. Often it is parents who are trying to put their child in dance, cheerleading, softball, and Girl Scouts. It could be baseball, hunting club, school functions, Boy Scouts, and more! Where does the cycle end?

I remember telling my wife that I hoped life would slow down a little bit in South Carolina vs. South Florida. I was wrong! If anything... the pace has increased! This summer was no exception as I hired a completely new administrative team in our school, we added new members to our church staff, and we renovated several areas of our campus. Sure, God is blessing and our church and school have more than doubled since 2003, but the caution flags went up for me as I preached a message about the Sabbath several weeks back. One thing that caught my attention was the following song by Larnelle Harris. Allow me to share it with you:

(verse 1)
"There he was just waiting, in our old familiar place
an empty spot beside him, where once I used to wait
to be filled with strength and wisdom for the battles of the day
I would have passed him by again if I didn't hear him say
(chorus)
I miss my time with you, those moments together
I need to be with you each day, and it hurts me when you say
You're too busy, busy trying to serve me
but how can you serve me when your spirit's empty
there's a longing in my heart, wanting more than just a part of you
it's true I miss my time with you, what do I have to offer
(verse 2)
How can I truly care, my efforts have no meaning when your presence isn't there
but you will provide the power if I take time to pray
I'll stay right here beside him and you will never have to say..
(chorus)

Perhaps you, too, have been experiencing more of life lately than of "The Life. " If so, why not stop right NOW, sit at Jesus feet, and have a moment of personal communion with Him. In our hectic pace to get through life, don't forget the Giver of Life.

No comments: