Thursday, October 30, 2008

Revival Continues at a Funeral

My friend, Jack Westmoreland, wrote a book entitled, "God, He Don't Live in No Box." Jack is right! God can do whatever, whenever, wherever, and however He chooses. If you weren't sure of that before, you will be after this story. I'm learning more and more that He doesn't work the way our religious system has taught us to expect. He does things that we don't expect,in ways we don't expect and at times we don't expect. Let me give you a great example...

Today, I was officiating a funeral for a dear lady who had been a member of our church for many years. She had been estranged from her son for many years, but they reconciled three years ago. The son had also been estranged from his sister, and if I properly understood, they had not spoken in 20+ years. His family was seated at the front of the funeral chapel and her family was seated at the back and on the opposite side. While the son/brother was speaking publicly and paying tribute to his mother, he began to weep and publicly asked his sister to forgive him. He walked to the back of the chapel, asked for her forgiveness, told her that he loved her, and asked if she loved him -- to which she responded, "I love you, too." There wasn't a dry eye in the room and if we were in church, I would have given the invitation right then.

That was one of the best funerals I've ever been to in my life! I've never seen God work in this way at a funeral before, but it surprises me less and less. I'm beginning to expect Him to work in these miracluous ways. I told the other pastor who co-officiated the service, "This is what we've been seeing God do in our church for 3 months!" I can't wait to see what He's going to do next!

No comments: