Friday, November 07, 2008

Election

Oh, the conversations I've heard since the election. Some are excited that history has been made and others talk as though they think the Antichrist is now in place. Truth is, I personally didn't like either candidate and my life is no different today than it was on Nov. 3. The only thing that really jolted my thinking was seeing the excitement of Louis Farrakhan (Head of the Nation of Islam), country of Kenya (where Muslims bombed our embassy) and Iran (a current threat); over Barack Obama being our president-elect.

During the election, I did not publicly endorse any candidate, but chose rather to encourage people to vote for candidates who support biblical values. I did this, so people would do their own research and take the initiative to educate themselves as to where the candidates stood on the issues. Too many "Christians" like to be spoon fed in political (and spiritual) matters. Now, I'll admit that my favorite candidate was Mitt Romney for many reasons. He and I would differ greatly on our theology, but I was looking to call him my president, not my pastor. My next favorite candidate would have been Sarah Palin, because after the media turned over every rock in Wasilla, AK, the only thing they could do was poke fun at her clothes. I like the idea of a candidate who actually has to work for a living and has ironclad integrity.

It's been both sad and funny to hear conservatives and the religious right (who could not stand John McCain in years past) defending him and championing his cause. Let's be honest... he held to more biblical values than Obama, but he was still a liberal simply the "best of the worst." It was also sad to hear so many reducing this presidential election to a racial contest. The exit polls revealed that 97% of black voters cast their vote for Obama, even though they admittedly did not necessarily agree with his views and political positions. Because of the exit polls, radio talk show host Rick, from the "Rick and Bubba Show" stated that this historic election fell far short of fulfilling Martin Luther King, Jr's dream for men to be judged on their character and not on the color of their skin. The race emphasis and now an African-American president elect, removes all future excuses, from all races, and PROVES that America is still the land of opportunity for those who will make the effort to apply themselves.

Finally, the election is over and we must move forward. America is still the greatest nation in the world and God is still in control. I have no problem with a black president or one of any other ethnic origin, because my confidence is in the Lord. Barack Obama can make all the promises of "change" that he wants to, but Jesus Christ is the real agent of change! I expect that Washington will look very similar in 4 years, but I expect individuals and families in our community to look very different based on our efforts to share the message of God's love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen. We may not agree with what's happening and may not understand, but there is one thing we know, God is still in control.

Bob Gardner