Friday, November 20, 2009

Dolphins vs. Panthers

Last night, we took a group of men to the Miami Dolphins vs. Carolina Panthers game. Interestingly, 8 of the 10 were Dolphin fans. (And by the way... we won!) We had a great time and God used some VERY generous people to provide tickets and allow us to join in their tailgate party. It was GREAT!

As I was sitting in the stadium, I wondered...
How is that people will drive two hours, pay $70 per ticket, pay $25-30 for parking, spend $20 on concessions, wait in lines, fight the traffic, and will jump seats trying to get closer to the field, and sit for 3 hours -- all for the sake of watching their favorite football team? Yet on Sundays, some of those same people will say they can't afford to tithe, say the church is too far away, they leave early so they can beat the traffic, they sit as far away from the preacher as possible, and they complain if the service goes more than an hour.

Carry the thought a little further... at the ballgames, enthusiasts are called "fans." On the other hand, if we drove two hours for church, dropped $120 in the offering, sat down front, and raised our hands and screamed "Go God," people would call us "fanatics."

I am a die hard football junkie and enjoy most sports, but I wonder how God feels when we get more excited about a sporting event than we do about our relationship with Him. Just something to think about.

1 comment:

zpippin said...

nice thoughts. I've thought similar stuff before. I dyed my hair for a game, jumped up and down , and screamed at the top of my lungs at a game before. I questioned whether it was good to get that excited at a sporting event but not church.