Thursday, May 07, 2020

Don't Let Past Mistakes Define You

I am a guy who always pulls for the "underdog" and I believe in second chances. Recently, my heart just about came out of my chest as I had a conversation with a man who many "wrote-off," but God did not. The man is a good man, a godly man, a family man, and a humbled man. He was the rising star in two previous church settings, before he made a mistake that nearly cost him his family. He stepped out of ministry for a few years in order to regroup, and then God opened the door for him to serve as a pastor, again. He is doing a great job revitalizing a church, his marriage is strong, his children are serving the Lord and he is a trophy of God's grace! My heart goes out to people like this, because "Christians" can be so critical and judgmental. I remember meeting with this man several years ago for breakfast at the local Shoney's. I wanted to encourage him, but instead he encouraged me.  He made a statement that I think might be an encouragement to you. He said, "I can't let a mistake in my past define who I am or the future I will have." What a great thought!

What about you, are you allowing your past mistakes to define you? Are you still believing the cruel father who called you "stupid?" Are you allowing yourself to be defined by a past addiction? Are you going to quit, because someone says you're finished? Well, if so, you haven't read the Bible. God is the God of the second chance! David had an affair with Bathsheba and murdered her husband, but God calls him a man after his own heart. Rahab was a prostitute, but she also saved the spies and had a rich lineage. Samson spilled his guts to Delilah, but he also spilled the guts of many Philistines.

We will all make mistakes, but what will we do with our mistakes? Some fools will choose to repeat their mistakes (2nd time it is a choice!). Some will use their mistake as their "excuse" for the rest of their lives. Others will get up, dust themselves off, learn from the mistakes, and go make a difference that will impact eternity. So, what about you? Don't let your mistakes define who you are, or limit the future God wants you to have. Remember Jeremiah 29:11 - "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

I leave you with the promise found in 1 John 1:9 - " If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." Ask God to forgive your past mistakes... forgive yourself for your past mistakes... and get moving toward the plans and dreams God has in store for your future.

No comments: