Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sunday Summary 8.30.09

We had the privilege of having Joey & Cynthia Colson stay with us this weekend. Cynthia's dad led me to Christ and was my spiritual mentor. I watched Cynthia grow up and we prayed as Joey battled cancer shortly after they were married. Those trials increased their faith and matured them spiritually. We also enjoyed their little miracle, Abigail.

I've c0ntinued preaching through James and moved from talking about trials (tests of faith) into temptations (opportunities to sin). Since I started this series, I've been living the trials and seemingly everything I touch breaks. I've been working a side job to help pay for my daughter's college and rather than saving... all I've been doing is spending (for misc. repairs) more than I've made! This morning, I pulled into the church, unloaded some boxes, and then my car wouldn't start. Earlier this week, I had our other car in the shop. I'm hoping these tests are almost over, so I can stop being my sermon illustrations. Regardless, Flora and I are learning that God is faithful and He always provides. My trials are small in comparison to many, but they do make you weary.

Brian Watts led the music portion of our worship service today and did a wonderful job. He opened with a trumpet solo as our call to worship. He also had his friend, Morgan Dampier, to accompany our orchestra on her saxophone. It was beautiful! We're without a Worship Pastor, but we have many talented people who are filling in. In fact, we have a special program coming up on Sept. 13 and it is all lay-led.

We had a father and son baptized this morning and it was a great way to start the service. I also had two other families tell me they are ready to join the church. God continues to bless us with visitors and we never take this for granted. There are many other churches in Hartsville they could have worshipped at, but they chose to visit with us!

We lost a dear church member this week, Mr. Walter Hartis (69). Walter enjoyed a great day with his wife, they went to bed, he told her that he loved her, and then he died. What a way to go! His funeral was today and it was a very sweet time. It was a picture of Ps. 116:15 - "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints."

Tonight, I tied the morning messages of James (trials and temptations) together with a message from Job. It's still amazes me that God allowed the seriousness of the trials. Again, our trials seem so petty.

Let me close by sharing with you that we have a spirit in our church that has not been here since the moral failure of a worship leader in 2007. It is a breath of fresh air and people are really "buying into" the ministries at EBC. There is a sweet spirit and a unity that is catching the attention of many. Please continue to pray!

No comments: