Saturday, December 05, 2009

No Such Thing as "Seekers"

On Sunday nights at Emmanuel, I've been teaching through Francis Chan's book, "Crazy Love." As I was reviewing the chapter for tomorrow, I noticed his statement that too many churches look at attendance numbers to gauge success. He draws attention to Jesus' example of preaching hard to the multitudes, with the goal of eliminating those who were not true followers. Jesus did not water down the message to maintain the attendance, but few preachers use Jesus' tactics today. Too many preachers seem to focus more on growing their attendance, than preaching truth. They focus on attracting "seekers," rather than growing disciples.

Over the past 20 years, the "seeker sensitive" and "seeker driven" movements have weakened the spiritual depth and core separatist foundation of the church. While this movement has resulted in larger crowds and does have some points of merit regarding relevance, even Bill Hybels, former pastor of Willow Creek Community Church and early leader of the "seeker" movement, has since admitted the weaknesses produced by it. Others who led the early "seeker movement" are also now realizing the shallowness produced by services void of doctrine, which cater to the unsaved and the malcontents. Much time and weakening in the walls could have been saved, if they would have read Romans 3:11 - "...there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God."

Don't misunderstand me... I have always been a student of church growth and willing to try many methods for the sake of growing the church and reaching people for Christ. I do believe we must be relevant in order to reach our culture, and change is one of my dear friends. I abhor unbiblical tradition, pious Pharisees, and dead churches. I admire pioneers like Chuck Smith, and preachers like Andy Stanley, Ed Young, Perry Nobles, and Steven Furtick who push the envelope; but also preach sound doctrine. I am simply reminding you (and me) to follow Christ, instead of the latest fad or guru in the church growth movement. Remember, anyone can draw a crowd; but Jesus is the Chief Cornerstone and the sure foundation of the Church.

No comments: