Sunday, April 08, 2012

Easter Sunday - 4.8.12

Today was Easter 2012! Last night, our family watched the movie, "The Crucifixion of Christ." We were reminded last Sunday and again last night, about Jesus sufferings. He agonized in the Garden, He was falsely accused, denied by His followers, mocked, tortured, and ultimately "GAVE" His life to pay the penalty for the sins of the human race (ME!). Even as I write this, my eyes are tearing up and I hope I never get over what Jesus did for me. It was my sin that He paid for.

This morning, we celebrated the resurrection! The resurrection is the Super Bowl for Christians... it's the BIG event! Our church family gathered to enjoy our annual pancake breakfast together. Our staff, deacons, and some other wonderful volunteers prepared and served our church family. We enjoyed fellowship together and I think most realized that our common bond is Jesus Christ.

Following breakfast, we worshiped our resurrected and living Lord. We had about 200 more in attendance than we usually have. (I always want to stand at the door and shake hands saying, "I'll see you at Christmas;" but I refrained.) We had Isabel and Christina were baptized and became members of our church family. We had several mark cards that they prayed to receive Christ as Savior and now our follow-up work begins.

Our Easter offering is being designated to help us jump-start a renewed emphasis on paying down our existing debt. God has blessed and we have paid over $1 million against the principle over the past five years. That's amazing in a small-mid sized church and during a time of recession. It is a tribute to people who are committed to honoring God with their tithes and offerings, and their belief that you can't out-give God.

This morning's sermon focused on the resurrection of Christ and the proofs of that resurrection. There are many, in spite of what critics claim. The resurrection proves that Jesus Christ really was Who He claimed to be -- God. His resurrection proved that He can do what He says He can do - rise in 3 days. Based on those facts, 'm just foolish (or wise) enough to believe that He can forgive my sins, restore my relationship with Him, allow me to live in His fullness, and He is preparing a place for me in Heaven! Praise the Lord for the reminders that Easter brings!

No comments: