Friday, January 22, 2010

Business Person of the Year

Last month, I was approached by one of our church members who asked, "Would you mind if I nominated you for the Business Person of the Year Award?" Quite surprised, I told him that I would be honored and it would be quite a statement for any pastor to be recognized in such fashion. Not expecting anything further, I was shocked to receive that award last night at the annual banquet of the Greater Hartsville Chamber of Commerce.

Someone immediately joked about preachers only working one day per week, but I quickly guarded my 1.5 day's per week, since we still have a midweek service. Another said, "I didn't know the church was a business," to which I replied, "It was Jesus who first said that He must be about His Father's business." :-) While God has blessed our church tremendously, he has also given me opportunities to reach into our community as a Hospice Chaplain, Chairman for two new Crisis Pregnancy Centers, Board member for a faith-based initiative, serving as a Board member of the Greater Hartsville Chamber of Commerce for 5 years, and more. You see, this award had more to do with community involvement and service, than it did with just our church.

Realizing the basis of this award, I find it somewhat humorous that a pastor would be given such a prestigious award for just simply doing what ALL pastors are supposed to be doing-- getting involved, ministering to, and impacting his community! Sadly too many churches limit their pastors to holding hands and wiping the noses of members. Our church family has caught the bigger vision and allows me the privilege of ministering both internally and externally. EBC is reaching beyond our walls and impacting eternity! So, this award really belongs to our entire church! Thank you EBC for allowing me to serve and represent you. This award belongs to all of us!

No comments: