Monday, January 18, 2010

Vision Sunday Revelations

Prov. 29:18 states, "Where there is no vision, the people perish." I've also heard it said that "Where there is no vision, the people will find another parrish." Vision is the ability to see what God wants to do through our church. It is our mission possible, should we choose to accept it. If we decline, we simply become another dead church satisfied with status quo.

In preparing the message for our Vision Sunday, several truths were revealed to me:
  • The economy has hit us HARD! In 2008-2009, we lost 170 people due mostly to deaths, out of state relocations. That was 28% of our church and we are in a small community.
  • God brought us 130 new members in the past two years and we have gained over 100 of the 170 that we lost.
  • Over 200 people were saved through EBC's efforts last year!
  • Our offerings have remained strong.
  • God blessed us beyond what we can humanly explain. Our debt has decreased by $800,000, our missions giving has increased annually, and our school enrollment continues to grow -- even during a recession!

So, what does all of that have to do with "vision?" EVERYTHING! It was as though God said look what I've been doing while you were worrying about a few disgruntled people. (If they leave... I'll replace them.) Look what I've been doing while you've been worrying about the budget. (I've given you more than you even realized.) Look what I've been doing while you were worrying about the school enrollment. (I've been bringing new students in monthly.) Look what I (God) have been doing! Remember, it's My church and I promised to build it.

WOW! I felt as though God was telling me to go refill my squirt guns and resume my position in the assault against hell! I hadn't had that feeling in quite a while. It was as though God said, "Here's My vision... Catch it!" I caught it... He's working... and I've joined Him!

What about you? Are you ready to refill your squirt guns? God is working... let's join Him!

No comments: