Monday, January 12, 2009

Do Cultural Christians Worship Their Churches?

My entire life has been lived in Southern states. I know, some of you are questioning whether Florida is really "southern," but it is south of Georgia and South Carolina. During my tenures in the deep south, I've noticed the prevalence of "cultural-Christianity" and a general lack of real spiritual depth. Before you get offended... I said "general" and will quickly admit that some of the most godly people I've ever met have lived and do live in the deep south (several of those people are in the church I currently serve). My comment regarding cultural Christianity is merely an observation and not in any way an indictment. In our area for example, people pray over meals, blue laws are still in effect, we have 114 churches in our small community, and the majority of people attend church on Sunday. In spite of those things, addictions are rampant, divorce is epidemic, and immorality is common. Cultural Christianity may be prevalent in other places and it may even be a national problem, but I don't have the life experiences to call it such. I do know the problem is not new and even the Apostle Paul addressed it in several of his letters.

I personally wonder if there is any correlation between "cultural-Christianity" and the fact that people talk more about their church, than they do about their God. Last night, I had a couple telling me all about their church, their pastor, their programs; but NOT ONCE did they mention God. People talk about what their church is doing, about the attendance, and about programming; but rarely (if ever) do they mention God. They don't say anything about people being saved, baptized, marriages salvaged, or lives transformed. Is it not happening? Is it not important to them? Is their commitment deeper to their church than to their God? Is this why we struggle with "cultural-Christianity?" Do people, in fact, worship our local churches more than we worship God?

I can't answer for everyone, but I do hope our church members are telling people about Jesus! While our church has been the fastest growing church in our area for several years, I would be disappointed if our people only talked about our church. I hope they are telling people about our God and the miraculous things that He is doing at EBC. He is the reason we are growing! He is the One performing miracles! He is the One who poured His Spirit of revival on us! I stake my claim on God's promise that if we lift Him up, then He will draw men unto Himself.

I'm tired of hearing about all the denominational division and local churches competing against each other. I'm tired of splitting hairs with people of like faith. I wonder what the world would think if the church focused on Jesus and stopped bragging on itself. What if we focused on leading people to Jesus and building His kingdom; rather than simply building a local church. What would happen if churches ever realized that we are all on the same team and we serve the same God? What if we worked together? Prayed together? Worshipped together? Served together? What would happen if the lost world ever saw the people of God in one accord?

In 2009, I challenge you to tell people about Jesus and go deeper than simply talking about your church. Focus on worshipping God; instead of worshipping your church, your pastor, or your traditions! Let's move from "cultural-Christianity" to "authentic-Christianity!"

No comments: