Friday, November 11, 2016

How Should Christians Respond Post-Election?

For the past 18 months, we have been bombarded by news, interviews, town halls, debates, and social media regarding the Presidential election. I will start by telling you that I did not vote for either candidate - I didn't think either one was a good choice. Instead, I chose to vote my conscience regarding who I thought had the better chance of appointing Supreme Court Justices that would be in line with my values and the candidate I felt might be prone to bolstering and supporting our military. Only the future will tell if I made the right choice. You may agree or disagree with my choice and that is your right. It was my right to vote, and I exercised it. Statistics show that over 46% of registered voters didn't even vote. That is a shame, considering people gave their lives to give you that right.

I personally do not believe that either party is the "Christian" party, I don't believe that either of the candidates would be prone to govern based on their faith, and I don't think believers should allow politics to divide them. (Sounds ironic, since SO MANY churches are internally divided over church politics!) It's been extremely sad to watch the division, protests, and riots going on across our nation, simply because some don't like the outcome of the democratic process. I'm of the opinion that no politician can solve all of our problems, so elections don't change my attitude from one day to the next. Our only hope rests in the Lord. I passed a church sign last week that read, "Neither the elephant nor the donkey can solve our problems. Our only hope is in the Lamb." I thought that served as a great reminder to Christians.

So what is a Christian to do post-election?
1. Don't make a fool of yourself on social media. Remember the saying, "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."
2. Don't restrict your friendships to only those who hold your same views. Remember, Jesus was called the Friend of sinners, so He obviously made a habit of spending time with people who didn't hold his same values.
3. Realize that the Church flourishes during times of oppression. Remember the persecution that caused the early Church to expand and grow; remember the secret growth of Christianity under Communist governments; and realize that the Church will have many opportunities to fill the social needs created by government.
4. Whether you like or dislike the current President or President-Elect, we must realize and act according to the truth of Romans 13:1 - "Everyone must submit to governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God.

You may not like the President-Elect and you may feel that the United States of America has some problems, but I still believe it is the GREATEST country in the world! I am very patriotic and proudly pledge my allegiance to this nation. I will support my country in whatever ways possible. I will defend her to the death. I refuse to be a critic or to desecrate our flag, disrespect our national anthem, defame our leaders, damage our reputation, or destroy my neighbor's property. I always act appropriately when traveling abroad, because I represent America to the world! You see, I am an ambassador -- for myself, for my country, and for my Lord! I want to represent all of those parties well. So, before you speak or act post-election, remember your position as an American and as Christian. Doing so may alter your behavior, help maintain your integrity, and open doors to share your faith.

No comments: