Thursday, November 17, 2016

Life's Lessons Learned from Eagles

Last Sunday, my wife and I had an amazing encounter. As we were driving to Charleston to preach for a Homecoming service, we came upon a bird that was circling not too far above the highway. It was magnificent as it just glided through the air almost effortlessly. As we got closer, I noticed it's white head and tail. I excitedly asked my wife, "What kind of bird do YOU think that is?" She immediately replied what I was already thinking... "That's an eagle!" That was only the 2nd time in my life that I've seen a bald eagle in the wild. The first was several years ago on Lake Robinson, as we were boating with our family. The second encounter was last weekend driving down I-26 toward Charleston.

I have always loved bald eagles. Not sure if it's because they are our national bird, so beautiful to watch, or the fact that they are symbols of strength. Whatever the reason, I really enjoy them. I've got carvings and pictures of bald eagles that I've collected through the years. One of my favorite pictures was given to me by my late father-in-law. He purchased it from a man who had never had an art lesson, but had amazing talent. The verse on the painting is Isaiah 40:31. We often quote that single verse, but allow me to share the context of the passage:

Isaiah 40:28-31:
"Have you not known?
Have you not heard?
The everlasting God, the Lord,
The Creator of the ends of the earth,
Neither faints nor is weary.
His understanding is unsearchable.
29 He gives power to the weak,
And to those who have no might He increases strength.
30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary,
And the young men shall utterly fall,
31 But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint."


As we drove along I-26, it was as though God put that low-flying, circling eagle in front of me as a reminder to wait on Him and He will renew my strength. I'm not much on "signs," BUT I am believing God sent that one in such a way that I couldn't miss it. God was sending a reminder that He is able to carry our load, to give us power, to get us back on our feet, to make us run, and to give us the strength to serve Him without growing weary. What a Mighty God we serve! 2 Cor. 12:9 offers another great reminder - "And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

It's been said, "I'd rather soar with the eagles than squabble with turkeys," or "You can't soar like an eagle if you have a vulture mentality." Realizing the unique characteristics of eagles, my prayer is that God will give me the qualities of an eagle:
1. Eagle soar above the common birds. God, keep me dissatisfied with mediocrity.
2. Eagles have tremendous vision. God, give me a fresh vision for your work.
3. Eagles don't eat dead things, vultures do. God, keep my faith fresh, not simply regurgitating ideas from the past.
4. Eagles seem to love storms. God, when others are cowering, help me to see the storms of life as opportunities to soar with you.
5. Eagles are tried and true. God, help others to see me as one who is tested, tried, and found faithful to you!
6. Eagles prepare their young to soar. God, help me be one who prepares others to succeed in their spiritual journey.

No comments: