Tuesday, November 01, 2016

TRUE FRIENDS ARE A RARE FIND

The Bible speaks much to the topic of friendship. Specifically, there are 115 verses that reference friend, friends, or friendship. One of my favorites is found in Proverbs 17:17 - "A friend loves at all times, And a brother is born for adversity." True friends are those who know everything about you and still love you. As one person said, "A true friend accepts you, 'warts and all.'" Friends are people you can count on through the good and the bad times.

Those who know me, realize that I am not a fair-weather fan. I've been a Miami Dolphin fan since I was a small child. Raised in Miami, I remember watching through the fence as the Dolphins practiced at Pace High School. I remember the excitement watching players and collecting trading cards for players like Bob Griese, Paul Warfield, Larry Csonka, Nick Buoniconti, and others. I can still sing the Dolphin theme song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIcIPd9bDBI). I remember when the Dolphin logo actually looked tough, rather than the metro-sexual thing we have now. I remember learning Bible verses and my Sunday School teacher, Bob Green (Anita Bryant's husband) would occasionally reward us with tickets to the Dolphin games. My list of memories goes on, but my point is this... the last time the Dolphins went to the Superbowl was 1985 and the last time they won was 1973. So what does this have to do with anything about friendship? True fans remain loyal during both the winning and the losing seasons. The same is true with real friends!

My wife and I are so blessed to have many real friends, but one couple stands out. We became friends with Bill and Leigh when our daughters were young. I remember nights at their house playing board games, days on the lake enjoying water sports, traveling literally around the world, and so many other great memories! These are the kind of friends that you may not see for a while, but you just pickup right where you left off. Recently, my wife and I had been through a time of discouragement and these friends knew that we were hurting. They called and invited us to spend some time with them and they ministered to us. It was so refreshing and exactly what we needed. Thank God for real friends!

On the flip side, there are those who call themselves friends; but will put a knife in your back if it helps their cause. I remember one of our children being betrayed by someone she felt was her dearest friend. I've been betrayed by those I thought were friends. I've watched church members love the preacher, then shortly thereafter stand in the lobby slandering him. You've probably experienced it, as it seems to happen everywhere. Teammates become opponents, classmates become rivals, marriage partners become enemies, and friends become foes. How that must break the heart of God. Psalm 15:1-3 - "Lord, who may abide in Your tabernacle? Who may dwell in Your holy hill? 2 He who walks uprightly, And works righteousness, And speaks the truth in his heart; 3 He who does not backbite with his tongue, Nor does evil to his neighbor, Nor does he take up a reproach against his friend."

I pray that you have some dear friends like Flora and I do. It's in the difficult times that you'll know who those friends are. When it seems lonely and the friends seem few, remember Proverbs 18:24b - "...there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother," and John 15:13 - "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends." Jesus is that friend!

So, I close with these questions... Do you know Jesus as your Savior and Lord? Do you know Him personally, as a close friend? Do you take time to comfort others who are hurting? Do you look for ministry opportunities to those who are in need? Do you take time to befriend the outcast, the one forgotten in the nursing home, the shut-in? Let Luke 4:18 challenge you, “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed." Look for someone who needs a friend and allow God to use YOU to minister to them, regardless of their 'warts' or what they can do for you.

No comments: